Wednesday, June 5, 2013

World Class Luxury Travel: My Kips Bay Cinderella Story

The 2013 Kips Bay Decorator Show House boasts spectacular spaces filled with gilded treasures, luxurious textiles, and sensational art. Each room begins as a blank canvas and is transformed by a talented designer into a microcosm of creative energy and fairy-tale perfection. Here is my Cinderella story:


When I was invited to participate in the Kips Bay Decorator Show house, I was in the midst of traveling overseas. I knew I wanted to design a room inspired by World Class Luxury Travel, complete with lush fabrics and a fireplace. What I did not know was, which room I would be assigned. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I would be decorating the laundry room!

Even more shocking, was the fact that my blank canvas was not actually a clean palette but instead had rusty pipes and a corroded tile floor.



Before



When my team sent me photos of the room so I could create the floor plan and design the custom furnishings, I realized I had to adapt my design concept. It was a challenge to accommodate the small dimensions as well as the metal pipes and tile floor, neither of which were a part of my vision. 



In order to cover the tile, we raised the floor and installed wide plank ebony wood. We then extended the wall to hide the plumbing and make room for the fireplace. Luckily, I was  able to find a fireplace that didn't have open flame and could fit in a 4"wall. Essentially, I made my small space smaller; when you have lemons, make lemonade!

After

Once the construction was complete, the real decorating magic began. Much like Cinderella before the ball, my room quickly turned into an elegant and inviting sitting area. 



I wanted my room to feel relaxing and luxurious even though it was barely larger than a closet. I selected Stark fabrics for the sofa, which I custom designed to fit into the space, and the pillows. The coffee table, another piece I custom designed just for this room, has a beautiful mother-of-pearl table top and an intricate metal base, which was inspired by a sculpture I saw at Art Basel. 


The walls are wrapped in a shimmering Stark paper that enhances the metallic accents throughout the room and complements the dark wood floor and silver wood veneer ceiling (also covered in a Stark paper).

Designing With Art

My philosophy is that good design warrants fine art and sculptures. I selected a David Dunlop painting depicting New York's' Grand Central Station to further enhance my concept of high-end travel. The moody blue hues invoke a sense of mystery and create a focal point. The glass sculpture and soaring lamps adhere to this belief and give the room a polished effect. 


I think I achieved my goal of depicting World Class Luxury Travel, but you be the judge!

The silver Clenos Console, FZ Collection Ottoman, Wilhemina Settee, and Basel Coffee Table are all custom designed by me and available for purchase through my furniture company FZ Collection. 

Please contact info@fzcollection.net or customerservice@feliciazwebner.com with any questions.

Photography: Thank you to Marco Ricca for the beautiful photographs!

No comments:

Post a Comment